Sunday, April 24, 2011

Freedom of Speech in the Age of Wikileaks

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/decision-canada/Free+speech+Twitter/4662251/story.html

I found this somewhat interesting article in the Montreal Gazette today that, among other things, discusses the effects of free speech in the age of Wikileaks and other social media. Despite the fact that this piece was incredibly long-winded and slightly tangential, it did raise several important points. Early on in the article the author, Juan Rodriguez, cites a line from Noam Chomsky's book that says, "When you get to a case where nobody likes what's being said, then somehow defense of freedom of speech disappears." This sentiment is directly related to what happened with Wikileaks. I understand that the Wikileaks dilemma is very complicated in that it is very hard for the government to be both secure and transparent -- there are just some secrets that must remain secrets. However, Asange's actions also come from a very real place; he was motivated by his right to freely express himself. I don't know that I'll ever really understand the ramifications of Wikileaks. However, I am not sure that it is right for the media to vilify Asange and call him a traitor nor is it right for the media to praise him and call him a hero. Within reason, people like Asange should be able to exercise their constitutional rights. Due to the evolution of the internet, the public has the opportunity to exercise its rights more than ever before and in new and different ways so not only should we welcome this sort of civic engagement, but we should be better prepared for it.

-Chibuzo

No comments:

Post a Comment