Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Some More Thoughts

Most of my posts up till this point have been article-based. I thought it would be helpful to give a few thoughts on my overall perceptions of media reporting on the subject. After following Wikileaks stories for a couple of months, it seems like most news sources I've checked have moved from focusing less on Julian Assange (although there was a period of time where his sexual escapades were made internationally known) and focusing more on the type of information that Wikileaks releases. In this sense, I've seen news sources move away from pure dramatization and more towards utilizing Wikileaks as an essential information source. Since my last post, I've researched the Guantanamo Bay leaked documents on other sites and have seen the great extent to which news sources manipulate news events to serve political goals. Fox News (unsurprisingly) posed the Guantanamo leaks as being evidence of the political benefits of the detention camp although it generally took a negative stance on Wikileaks itself. Al Jazeera, on the other hand, took a more positive stance on Wikileaks, arguing that it prevent citizens from being "duped by their governments into entering war" in the future.

- Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment